February 18, 2010

A fast-growing reading list!

While I was home for my holiday break from school, I found out that, sadly, the Waldensbooks in our local mall would be closing it's doors for good. Happily, all books were discounted 40-60% off! Naturally, I was in heaven! I quickly began scouring the shelves for books (By the time I looked, the books were so picked over that I was actually excited - as a publishing major, I always want to see people buying books because that is what will keep the publishing industry going upward instead of continuing it's recent downward trend) and I came up with a very nice little list of new books:

 - The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

- Classics for Pleasure by Michael Dirda

 - A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius Dave Eggers

 - American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld


With so many wonderful choice, where to start? I decided on The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and I loved it. It was witty, touching, and made me wish for the time when people still went by snail mail.

For old time's sake, I think instead of e-mailing my penpal Susanna, who lives in Italy, I'll write her a letter - and maybe some of the charm of Juliet Ashton's letters from the book will rub off on my own writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment